Friday, September 26, 2008

Me voilà de retour - Here I am, back again

Third time moving to Paris. Second time as a student. First time I feel like I know what I'm doing....except, not really. Paris always has lots of fun surprises for me, and I am never bored. I've been back for 10 days. In a way it feels like I never left (and certainly not for 7 months!), but things are very different for me this time around.

I've been more or less constantly occupied for the past week and that will probably continue being the case for this next year since I have to balance going to class for 20 hours a week, working at a restaurant at night for 12 hours a week, and working at my "real job" for about 20 hours a week - I'll let you do the math. I'll be a busy girl!

Over the past week my projects have included:
-arriving in Paris and getting half-way settled. In French, the verb is squatter when you are crashing at benevolent friends' places
-getting over jet-lag...euuuuughhhhhh never easy
-officially enrolling at the Sorbonne. I TRIED to get into the business program, but they wouldn't let me because I have never taken an English language class (seriously). Don't worry, I explained to them very clearly that I was a native English speaker and probably would do fine. No go. Oh well. I'm doing a Spanish major.
-standing in line for four hours at the Prefecture (immigrations) to get my resident card
-getting refused my resident card because I lacked one measley piece of paper
-returning to immigrations with said measley piece of paper (an electricy bill) and waiting for another four hours to hand them over all my paperwork
-receiving my temporary residence card with a date for a medical apointment in a month to prove I don't have tuberculosis. After paying 55€ to show I don't have any pulmonary conditions last occuring in the early 20th century in prostitutes, I will receive my resident card.
-calling on at least 35 appartment possibilities and visiting 4 so far. Nothing yet that doesn't scream "pathetic" or "unibomber-type dwelling", so I'm still looking
-going to two job interviews. One at a very chic restaurant in the Louvre, and one for a renewable energy company to work in project development. Both of these possibilities seem promising, but I haven't signed anything yet, so keep your fingers crossed...

Eh voilà. I'll enjoy my last weekend of freedom and then classes officially start on Monday. Ah, to be a student again!

1 comment:

Pam said...

SO glad to have your pics and stories up and running again on your blog--YAY! Love to see you with Parisian scenes in the background. :) Quelle belle Parisienne! Bisous, Maman