What better way to spend one of the possibly last weekends of nice weather in a gorgeous city like Paris than on a bike? I can't think of anything. This weekend I took advantage of living in such a beautiful European capital to bike around the city and enjoy the typical sites that most tourists see (and that's all they see). We took the Velibs which is a project launched by the city of Paris last summer. You just swipe you transit card from one of the hundreds of self-service bike stands around the city, and off you go! Very fun, very green, and very annoying to local motorists.
Saturday we did the Louvre, the Latin Quarter, the Pantheon, Luxembourg Garden, the Sorbonne (funny that my school is a tourist destination), and Notre Dame.
Sunday was the Champs-Elysees, Etoile, the Eiffel Tower, and Invalides.
Check out the videos if you want a more interactive way of seeing the city than just the pictures I post.
All I can say is that it is a good thing I wasn't the one filming because it takes all my concentration not to smash into the buses, taxis or scooters zooming past me. Or run over the feet of clueless tourists trying to cross the street. Sometimes there's designated bike lanes. More often than not, though, the 'bike lane' is also the 'bus lane' which means you have to share your bit of pavement with the 4 ton piece of public transportation driven by an undoubtedly disgruntled civil servant who is tired of dodging weekend bikers...so yeah, it's sort of a miracle I didn't die. Fun weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment