When I moved to France, I discovered the "English" cucumber (had to come to France to discover the English. Hmmm). It's longer and thinner than the US cucumbers I was used to, and has a wrinkely edible skin. Its often served with creme fraiche and I like to add a little pepper, olive oil and vinegar to make an easy, tasty "salad".
Last summer, while working in an office in a very expensive neighborhood of Paris, I had the opportunity (okay, I was sort of forced) to explore the different varieties of grocery-store lunches that require no heating up. I stumbled upon a little miracle called soupe de concombre. It's a sort of cold cucumber and cream soup seasoned with mint, lemon, and garlic. Fresh. Delicious. Superb.
Since then, I have tried several different brands of this ready-made soup (I think it may come from Spain, initially). I finally decided to try my own version after finding an easy recipe in my new cookbook, Cuisine d'ete. Its just what I expected - flavorful and fresh, with the taste of cucumber and fresh mint that brings me back to lazy summertime in Ophir.
Soupe froide de concombres
- 2 cucumbers (English if possible)
- 300g faisselle - okay big dilema here. Faisselle is a sort of "fresh cheese" that doesn't exist in the US. Apparently, its similar to "queso blanco" or "farmer's cheese". Personally, I would substitute 1.5 cups plain yogurt.
- 30 cl plain yogurt (but if you already used plain yogurt, use 1 cup sour cream or low fat cream cheese)
- 1 small bunch fresh mint leaves
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and minced
- salt, pepper to taste
- a little lemon juice
Finely mince the mint. Crush and mince the garlic. Peel the cucumbers and cut into small pieces.
In a blender (I don't have a blender - I only have a mixer, so my soup wasn't as creamy as it could be) place all ingredients. Blend until very smooth. Salt and pepper to taste - it will be very bland and possibly sour tasting if you don't add enough salt.
Place in bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refridgerate. Serve very very cold, adding a splash of the lemon juice just before serving.
No comments:
Post a Comment