
The Shoebox, of course, being what we fondly call our little apartment. Last night, Meredith and I organized a little get-together chez nous. It was so much fun! We don't have the money (or frankly the space!) to feed all the people that we wanted to invite, so we just told everyone to bring something snacky and come meet new people! It was a sort of house warming party, but also sort of a way to get people to meet each other. Its weird moving to a new city and not having a built-in network of friends, like when I was here as a student. Granted, I have a handful of french friends, but its always fun to enlarge one's circle, n'est-ce pas?
So, it was a bit of a random assortment of folks...american, german, french, english...very L'auberge Espagnole (if you've not seen this great film, its about study abroad and the crazy mix of cultures). An example is my friend Nawel (see picture) who is french, but wants to improve her "ingleesh" so she enjoyed hanging out with the anglophones. Mer and I love being hostesses because we get to wander around and mingle and chat and we know everyone, and everyone is so appreciative of us opening up our shoebox to have people enjoy it. Probably the best thing about being the hostess though, is that at the end of the night, everyone leaves and voila! you're already home! No trucking it home on the metro or bus in the middle of the night. The downside is, of course, cleaning up afterward (I'm putting it off by posting a new blog entry ;) but it was totally fun and we hope to do it again soon!
1 comment:
Tessa-
It must have taken you all day to clean your place for your party! Ha Ha!! WINK, WINK. So did you guys fix any food yourselves, like cheese and cracker plate or wine or foie gras and really what did your new friends bring to the par-tay.. it must have been a very good mix of people, conversation and food. I would have loved to be there for that one. Seriously, I think sometimes when I'm at home shlepping around doing "mom" things with my hair in a pony on top of my head-you on the other side of the world, throwing soiree's, wearing your long cute coat, eating a bagette. Enjoy this time of your life Tess. Love you Teresa. Bethany p.s. Don't take me wrong I love my life its just a bit different. :)
Post a Comment