Monday, November 08, 2004

Bordeaux doesn't have bordeaux

So we went to Bordeaux and St. Emilion this weekend. They are wine reigons in the southwest of France. BEAUTIFUL! St. Emilion was a tiny charming town that had winding street and crawling ivy that was changing colors. And MACARONS! Of course, they are not like our american coconut maccarons. They are made with almonds, sugar and egg whites. Thats all. Very good cookies. St. Emilion is the kind of place that I feel like buying a little flat on the sunny top floor overlooking the rooftops and just staying there for a year. Mingling with the locals, enjoying conversation and good coffee, writing in my journal. I think I could actually become a writer if I lived in a place like that.
Bordeaux was also cool. It is the 5th largest city in France, but nowhere near as cool as Paris. For this reason I feel like if I'm getting out of Paris, I'd rather see quaint villages than cities not-quite-as-cool-as-paris. But, bummer of bummers, the delicious chocolate bonbon made by See's that's named after Bordeaux doesn't exist here! Apparently its just a marketing ploy to make you think that you're eating a reigonal specialty when in reality its just an american concoction with a french name. Whatever. We rode bikes through the garden and felt very special under the falling leaves.

No comments: