Thursday, August 26, 2004

Brillantly Brunette

Okay, I finally succumbed to temptation and bought the Brillantly Brunette line of hair care products by John Frieda. The whole line. They are just so shiny and beautifully packaged. I really ought to write the company and commend their designer. I have to admit, I think I got suckered into buying them. They first caught my eye whilst perusing through the hair care aisle in Longs. My eyes wandered lazily over the cream colored Pantene bottles of jr. high and the neon green Fructis - a cheap college favorite. All these products had made me believe at one time or another that by buying them, I too could find happiness and fulfillment in the inevitably beautiful tresses that I would surely attain from the mango-coconut scented liquid gold hidden in the bottle. As of yet, all I have attained is clean hair. Then all of a sudden, this sparkling jem appeared on the shelf. The shiny metallic amber bottles and containers called to me saying: "I was DESIGNED for YOU, Tessa. You, with the Chesnut to Espresso colored locks that are waiting for their beauty to be revealed from their previously dull and lifeless selves." So, I did it. I bought the shampoo (excuse me, the Light Revealing Shine Releasing Mosturizing Shampoo. Seriously) the conditioner, the hairspray (now really, how is hairspray for a brunette different than for a blonde?) and shine shock. Shine shock seems to be one of those vague products that feels slimy and a bit greasy and you're suppose to put it on your hair with no imediate visible results. Tell me, what is the point?! Brillant marketing ploy, I have to say. And surprisingly, my hair is softer and more shiny and I'm proud to be a brunette. Perhaps, like Dumbo's magic feather, this placebo effect is making me appreciate what I've had all along: brown hair.

No comments: